Saturday 20 March 2010

How to skin a cat.

I always cringe when a young person says "come and have a look at this", pointing at their mobile phones.

Some of the stuff I've had to witness would make your hair curl! We were all young once, though, and I'm sure i'd have a few "fruity" videos to share if I was that age again.

I never, however, skinned a cat. I'm pretty sure that, like now, I wouldn't have found it amusing either.

So, yes, that is what greeted me when I took a look at the video. Footage of these lads kicking a cat, and finally skinning it once it had died. All laughing and gloating, it somehow reminded me of something out of Lord of the flies.

I turned away pretty quickly and shouted at them a bit (probably the only time I have raised my voice as a youth worker), but as predicted, they found the fact I was so offended even more amusing that what was going on on the video. They then pursued me all evening, asking why I thought it offensive.

Whatever answer I gave, they laughed at. There is no point in trying to reason with this kind of mentality. It was if I was in the wrong for saying they were wrong?

Every now and again I hear whispers. I know they are considering showing me other stuff they have on their phones, but others intervene, saying "No, no, don't show him that!". If they thought I would be ok watching a video of them skinning a cat, what is it that they deem not suitable for me to not watch on their phones...?

That is the worrying thing, and I really, really don't want to know...

No comments:

Post a Comment